From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 11/18/1999 12:10:31 AM Central Standard Time,
jijones@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< anything will break down enough for use in a year even
 > if you just heap it up and leave it.  Screen for larger fragments which are
 > returned to the pile for further processing.
 At the risk of inadvertantly adding to the undocumented lore of compost
 I was under the impression that it needs moisture to really get cooking.
 John    >>

If you "just heap up a pile of compost and leave it," as Bill suggested,
would you not get the needed moisture from rain and other  precipitation?
Ever forget a pile of leaves out back somewhere and notice the decomposition
when you find it again in the spring? Not totally decomposed, but well on
it's way. Sheet composting is probably the most energy efficient form of
composting, but it never really heats up to destroy rogue weed seed, etc.

This year, I've collected bagged leaves from the neighborhood--couldn't bear
to see them clog up the landfill.  The neighbors just shake their heads. (I'm
not "their" kind of people!)  I've learned I can't spread the leaves on the
beds now because they will blow away in the high winds.

Small slits on the shoulder of the bag allows rain to enter the bag. (They
keep promising us rain!  Cough! Cough! Cough!) A few days/weeks in the bags
with moisture added will pack the leaves and start decomposition . . . tried
and true. Then they will be added to the top layer of the beds and be nearly
gone by spring.

Betty in BG, KY . . . wondering who stole our rain THIS time.