Re: SPEC: "Minor" arillate species

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>I have grown many of them, with varying degrees of success.  I, too, have
>found mislabelling to be a serious problem in acquiring any arillate
>species.

Thank you, Sharon.  I much enjoyed reading your history lesson about how
the aril groups have been classified and re-classified over the years.
Very interesting stuff!

>Off the top of my head, I can't think of any arilbreds derived from
>Pseudoregelia species [perhaps someone else will recall an example and
>chime in].   I do know that in its presentation of the new codes the 1976
>Checklist stated "Because of the limited interest in and use of
>pseudoregelias in hybridizing, no provisions for classifications have been
>provided."

So this is rather unexplored territory, right?

According to my "IRIS" book by Fritz Kohlein, there are 6 pseudoregelias:
  - Iris goniocarpa (Baker)
  - Iris hookeriana (Foster)
  - Iris kamaonensis (Wallich)
  - Iris potaninii (Meximowicz)
  - Iris sikkimensis (Dykes)
  - Iris tigridia (Bunge)

From previous Iris-Talk conversations about a year ago I seem to recall
that Iris sikkimensis has not officially been recorded as being collected
from the wild.  So that leaves 5 species to work with.

Any ideas on whether these are in cultivation in North America or Europe?
or how I might otherwise possibly obtain them?  Since they are all so
small, it seems like a natural choice to cross with MDBs.  Of course
there's the ploidy problem, but why worry about that until you've conquered
the tasks of (#1) obtaining specimens, and (#2) cultivating them.

Is anybody a member of NARGS?  Does NARGS offer these seeds in their seed sale?

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html