Re: CULT: soaking seeds

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 11/19/1999 8:47:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
donald@eastland.net writes:

<< Any ideas on how long is optimum for soaking iris seeds
 before planting? >>

Hi Donald:

Rule of thumb (that I've followed) is two weeks, with a daily water change.
The point is to break down germination inhibitors as well as rehydrate any
dry seeds.  I put seeds in little bags made of pantyhose material for ease of
keeping the crosses separate and changing the water without dumping all your
seed down the drain.

After that regimen, I put them in the veggie drawer of the fridge in moist
paper towel in a ziplock bag for 10 weeks.  By then, I'm looking like Jack
Nicholson in the Shining and I'm ready for the diversion of a seed planting

I've done this with only beardless and TB seeds.

Kathy Guest in
East Aurora, NY