RE: CULT:storing iris

From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>

Better get to work! It sounds like winter must be just around the next
corner for your area 5a zone.
You do not indicate your precise area (city, state, province, country) which
is useful and pertinent to provide when asking advice on topics such as
this. The zone tells something of your growing conditions but not all. There
are many other local factors that may need consideration. In other words not
all zone 5a's are the same.

Anyway, why not dig now while you still can and then pot up two or three
rhizomes of each variety to use as starters at the new property. Use 5 or 6
inch dia. size pots and a quality potting soil which will provide good
drainage. Keep them inside. Then you can easily take them with you when you
make the move in January.  At the new house you can keep them growing inside
until the springtime is upon you. At that time you can take time to prepare
new iris beds for them. After the beds are ready you can just pop the whole
root ball and soil out and plant them. By then they will be nicely rooted in
the pots and off to a good start in their new homes. The bloom display will
not be that wonderful in 2000 but the plants will definitely survive and
establish well in your garden putting on their first good display in 2001
bloom season.

I have successfully grown iris in pots like this last year over the winter
and a few other people here on the list have tried it with success too.
There is lots of info available on potting up irises. As you will read
people have various reasons for doing this.  I think that this is an
application that is a workable solution for your situation.

For more info:
Check the archives of this the Iris-Talk list using the search tools
provided.
Check potting irises up article on the CIS website.
The direct URL is:  http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/CIS/pots.html

I am currently growing about 20 SDB iris in pots inside over the winter that
I ordered and received rather late in our season to get them planted and
established. It was fun last year bringing the iris along indoors and I
intend to repeat the experience this winter. Last year my reason for doing
this was the fact that I had a number of dug and unplanted rhizomes that
were laying in the corner of my kitchen from August until January when I
potted them. They all revived and survived to be planted out in the garden
in the spring. Some even bloomed! (though small and distorted bloom that was
not really representative of the plants true bloom potential).
See how tough these plants are?

Have Fun!

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI
Director-Canadian Iris Society
Newsletter Editor-Canadian Iris Society
E-mail:  cris@netcom.ca <mailto:cris@netcom.ca>
CIS website:  http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/CIS.html
Siberian-Species Convention 2003 website:
http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/2003/index.html