RE: CULT: notes on SRAWBERRY FAIR

  • To: <iris-talk@onelist.com>
  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] CULT: notes on SRAWBERRY FAIR
  • From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 11:37:54 -0500

From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>

Okay, okay, Anner. I'll add my bit to the comments on this cultivar... how
did you know I was holding back?
Regarding STRAWBERRY FAIR:

I have recently discussed this plant with Carol Warner of Draycott Garden in
Maryland who indicated that she had not had good results from growing this
variety. Contrary to this my experience has been very good. But then again I
live in different location with different soils etc., etc..

Carol's experience/comments came as a surprise to me. I've only ever heard
good things about this variety plus I was aware of the extreme popularity of
it at the 1994 Portland, Oregon AIS convention. I watch for and read with
interest items that discuss the vigor of particular cultivars. (Like the
siberian iris ratings system in Carol's Draycott catalog for instance).

In any case I was keen to obtain this plant for myself. This proved hard to
do in 1995, 1996 and 1997. In May 1998 I was finally able to get a division
of it from John Coble (Ensata Gardens) in Michigan. This was delivered as a
normal size division and has grown very well for me. Increase at this point
(Autumn 99) is to approx 20 fans which for our climate seems quite good.

Carol mentioned that other noted siberian growers with an almost identical
conditions to my own have had trouble growing it. I know that there has to
date always been a shortage of availability on this plant but I attributed
that to demand and popularity.  Apart from this I might have theorized that
perhaps SF was a siberian that needed longer and more cold that your
Virginia or Carol's Maryland climate provided... which would surprise me as
I have been in Carol's Draycott Gardens with her and seen first hand how
well she grows many siberians.

Anyway, so far, my somewhat limited experience with STRAWBERRY FAIR has been
quite good.
Time will perhaps tell the truth.

Happy gardening.

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI
Director-Canadian Iris Society
Newsletter Editor-Canadian Iris Society
E-mail:  cris@netcom.ca <mailto:cris@netcom.ca>
CIS website:  http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/CIS.html
Siberian-Species Convention 2003 website:
http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/2003/index.html