Re: SPEC: "Minor" arillate species

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
>Last fall I bought plants labeled I. kamaonensis and I. sikkimensis. It
>looks like
>I. kamaonensis came from Collector's Nursery, though they don't list it on
>web site this year. However, Heronswood does list I. sikkimensis:
>    http://www.heronswood.com/Z-6-Perennials-Folder/Perenn-I-L.html
>and of the two, I. sikkimensis is still alive. Though not looking very
>robust, it
>is producing a little new growth this fall.

Ken, I just love Heronswood.  Last week on HGTV they did an interview with
Dan Hinkley.  What an amazing man he is!  He's got a new book out and it's
on the top of my Christmas wish list.  (*hint, hint!*)  Hahahah...anyway....

Last year I was excited to find a specialized nursery that carried Iris
sikkimensis.  Only it turned out to be a beardless iris.  Obviously not
Iris sikkimensis.  I hope yours turns out to be the real thing.

With the extensive plant collecting Dan Hinkley has done in China & the
Himalayas, it could very well be the genuine article.  And I hope it is!
Maybe you'll even share the pollen with some of your Iris-Talk buddies.  :)

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com