Re: CULT: The Very Best of Our Best

From: Irisacher@aol.com

Part II -- Beardless Favorites

All grown successfully in Newfield, NY for a number of years.

AQUA WHISPERS (Sib.)-- Vigorous and exquisitely colored lavender.  Has
repeated for me in real good years.

BEAUTIFUL FORTY (Sino-Sib)  Not exactly vigorous, but grows, blooms, and is
so exotic.

BELISE (Spu, Hist.)--A very graceful spuria with a  "species-look".  The only
spuria that I can say is truly vigorous for me.

BERLIN RUFFLES (Sib.)-- Tamberg's extraordinary vigorous, ruffled blue with
stalks of telephone pole strength.

CASCADE CREST (JI)-- My most dependable JI .

DOROTHEA K. WILLIAMSON (LA, Hist.)  A stand-out in a class that is tough in
this climate.  Take it to a show; folks won't recognize it as an iris, but
are enchanted.

FRIENDLY WELCOME (Sib.)  A deep blue, early, vigorous and dependable bloomer.

HALF MAGIC (CAL-SIB).  It actually grows and blooms here, year after year.
My only success with cal-sibes.

I. graminea (spu species)  Such a perfect little tricolor flower!  Just
cunning, as well as vigorous and dependable.  Unfortunately the cultivar I
have is NOT fragrant.

LAKE KEUKA (SIB)  Upstate New Yorker Dana Borglum's perfect blue Siberian.
Have seen it at or near perfection in diverse places of the country, also.

MAGGIE SMITH (SIB).  One of McGarvey's goodies; lavender.  This is one that
will repeat here if any do in that particular year.

ROYAL ONE (JI)  A beautifully simple, 3 F. vigorous pink with good substance.

SUMMER SKY (Sib, Hist.)  Early and vigorous.  Blue, yellow and white in

SWANK (SIB, Hist.)  Becomes Hist. this year!  Goodness.  A very saturated
deep blue that is vigorous and reliable.

TEMPER TANTRUM (SIB, Hist.)  Striking red-purple/ magenta with blue area.
Another "new" historic.

Dorothy Stiefel
Zone 5