Re: RE: CULT: favorites

From: John I Jones <jijones9@pacbell.net>

Well, below is the list of Joanne's and my favorites. We don't have the
years of growing experience of a lot of you (for me it is only about 5,
for Joanne 2), and of course this is Califronia where most anything grows...

Our criteria were good growth (meaning in excess of 12 increases in the
second year, good form, color quality and attractiveness. Most meet 3
out of 4. We grow in raised beds(mostly) over heavy clay soil.

Drady		Unintroduced		Tiny tailored flowers on branched stems.  Standards
white with black wire rim, black falls.

Allison Elizabeth	Pinegar	96	BB	Dark Lavender, lightening w age,F-rosy
orchid haftsB-coral orange, ruffled.slight fragarance

Cat Nap	Thompkins	89	BB	Cerise red;  B. ruby red

Bottled Sunshine	Nichols	95	IB	 S-bright aureolin yellow, F-slightly
ruffled white with darker yellow edges and hafts, gold beards

Halston	Tankesley-Clarke	95	IB	S. deep mineral violet; style arms
violet, blue white flanges; F. velvety deep mineral violet; pronounced
sweet fragrance.

Hellcat	Aitken	83	IB	S. pale blue lavender with darker flush at midrib;
F. dark blue lavender;  B.  same as F.

Young Blood	Hager	95	IB	 Deep cranberry to burgundy, silky tones.
Golden bronze beards

Rare Edition	Gatty	80	IB 	 S-mulberry purple to toga solid border on
white ground; F. white with 1/8 stitched edge of S-color; clean

Crimson King	Barr	1893	IB-RE	Historic, Rebloom Aug, Nov 96

Sparaxis Tricolor			Species	Small corms; wand-like stems hold brightly
colored flowers in ornge or red with bright yllw cntrs separated by a
black outline

Afternoon Delight	Ernst	85	TB	 S-lightly laced light golden tan; F.
lavender with 1/8  golden tan border, gold hafts; yellow beards

Ascent of Angels	Bernard	96	TB	 S-wisteria blue, midrib deeper,
F-wisteria blue washed violet, B-lt lavender, gold deep in throat,
ruffled, fragrant

Chatter	Ghio	93	TB	S-yellow-orange overlaid fuchsia rose, F-yellow
-orange ground fuchsia rose sanding at edge, B-burnt orange

Classic Bordeaux	Ernst	96	TB	S. dark burgundy red, washed plum, lighter
toward base; style arms burgundy red; F. dark burgundy; B. plum at end,
burgundy red midsection, orange in throat; ruffled

Classical Music	Maryott	97	TB	Deep pansy purple, darker wash nearly
black on the falls. B, bright, wide, old gold. Heavily ruffled, good

Debrenee	Maryott	96?	TB	S-light lavender with hint of peach; F. smooth
medium violet-maroon; tangerine beards

Epicenter	Ghio	94	TB	S- black cherry and narrow edge on pale salmon
ground;B- sienna; great contrast

Fair Maiden	Maryott	92	TB	 early, ruffled flesh pink, slight yellow tint
on shoulders of falls; tangerine beards

Flights of Fancy	Keppel	93	TB	S. oyster white to creamy rosy orchid in
center; F. paler oyster, same orchid; B. white to cream tipped flame;
slight odor

Horatio	Hager	91	TB	S. royal violet purple; F. violet purple maturing to
blue-violet silver; tangerine beard tips blue

Jolt	Weiler	88	TB	Lightly wavy ruffled fiery orange, small yellow spot
at end of carrot red beard.

Lightning Bolt	Ghio	93	TB	S. rose wine; F. electric blue, blending to
rose edge; red beards;

Louise Todd	McWhirter	95	TB	 heavily ruffled,S-orchid blue, lavender
blue style arms,F- white, orchid lavender beards

Lullaby of Spring	Schreiner	87	TB	 S-mimosa yellow; F. pastel mauve;
straw yellow beards;  good stalks;  proven performance

Lurid	Byers	87	TB	Lightly ruffled white; B-red-orange  with long horns

Navy Chant	Luihn	82	TB	 lightly ruffled velvety aconite violet with
slight reddish sheen; self beard

Peking Summer	Schreiner	84	TB	 S-amber yellow, F. rich rose maroon; old
gold beard tipped brown; ruffled and laced

Persian Berry	Gaulter	77	TB	 Light mulberry and lavender blend;  deeper
mulberry-rose hafts; tangerine beards; lightly ruffled, fragrant

Pink Dancer	Wood	95	TB	Very ruffled blue-pink, with tangerine pink

Poetic	Ghio	92	TB	coral orange standards, white falls rimmed in coral
orange, coral orange hafts and tangerine beards

Rustler	Keppel	88	TB	S-antique gold flushed faded rose; F henna paling
to antique gold at margin; B-florida gold tipped chrome orange

Ship Shape	Babson	69	TB	Classic meduim blue, Dykes Medal winner

Sly Fox	Wood	97	TB	Silvery blue-white; cream-white beards tipped
yellowish; slight fragrance

Soul Sister	Dunn	97	TB	Deep blue violet self;  beards blue violet, end
old gold

Tanqueray	Dunn	93	TB	S. ivory cream; golden styles; F. off white,
chartreuse hafts & edge; mustard beard; ruffled

Total Recall	Hager	92	TB	smoky pearl;  B- light yellow; ruffled

Vibrations	Dunn	90	TB	 Burgundy rose bitone, large white area below
beard & radiating lines on edge; tan beards

Wishful Thinking	Keppel	96	TB	S-hyacinth blue with deeper texture
veining and base; F-more silvery, paler variation with a touch of
chartreuse  at the hafts,B- lavender, merge to yellow

Return to Elegance	Nelson	88	TB-RE	Soft cream-yellow ground, pastel
lavender rose plicata edge on S. & F.; gold beard; ruffled. Rebloom Sep 96

St Petersburg	Byers	90	TB-RE	Heavily ruffled silvery-white changing to
green white in center of the falls; yellow hafts, violet b.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS
AIS Special Committee for Electronic Member Services

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at: