Re: SPEC: pseudoregelias

From: DWiris@aol.com

In a message dated 11/21/99 2:06:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dkramb@badbear.com writes:

<< I'm not fully familiar with the rules about what makes an MDB
 an MDB, but if it's just a height requirement (and that it has a beard, of
 course), then there are lots of aril species (including some of the
 pseudoregelias) that would qualify. >>

Hi Dennis,

I'm not that familiar with pseudoregelias, but am somewhat familiar with
psammiris species.  We previously grew I. arenaria (now I. humilis) and
tried, without success, to get some crosses with pumila hybrids.  But there
were many crosses with chamaeiris varieties in the thirties and forties.
These hybrids have been considered MDBs.  The hybrid PROMISE even won the
Caparne Award for MDBs.  However, the classification of psammiris, as shown
in The World of Irises, is under the Hexapogon subsection, not under
Miniature Dwarf Bearded.

There has been quite a to-do the last two years about the proper definition
for MDBs.  At the AIS Board Meeting in St. Louis two weeks ago, it was voted
that the only official qualification for MDBs is the height.  This limit was
reaffirmed as "up to 20 cm (8 inches)."  At the same time there was no
mention of which species should be included.