Re: judges training

From: DWiris@aol.com

In a message dated 11/21/99 7:47:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, IRISROT@aol.com
writes:

<< They are sponsoring a 5 hour judges training session...Last year they have
5
 people do 1 hour each and she was told that she shouldn't do that because it
 takes up to much time on giving tests. She would like input from experts. >>

Hi Jim,

It depends on what subjects these 5 different sessions cover.  I think that a
person cannot do justice to any particular type of iris in only one hour,
especially if part of the time is used for test taking.  I think it would be
more productive to have two 2 1/2 hour sessions that thoroughly explore one
type of iris in each session.  Then each year have two different types.  When
we are asked to give judges training, it is always for 2 to 3 hours.  Types
of training we have given are MDB, Median (SDB, IB, BB, MTB, together or
separately), Siberian, and Awards and Ballots.  Sometimes we cover only
Garden Judging and sometimes include Exhibition Judging, if we have been
allotted sufficient time.  If two different presenters cover garden and
exhibition judging for the same type of iris, there should only be one test.
Hope this helps.

Dorothy Willott