CULT: favourites

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

These are some of my favourites off the top of my head.  I actually came
pretty close to 25.  And as others have said, if you ask me again in a few
weeks (maybe even tomorrow), the list would be slightly different.

I reticulata "Natasha" -- these bloom through the last vestiges of snow for
us.  This variety is a lovely white flushed with some blue.  It's not very
hardy for us and needs to be replaced every few years.

Hey There:  The longest blooming MDB for us.  It starts midseason for MDBs
and ends mid to late season for SDBs.  Gorgeous bluey-green colour and makes
great looking clumps.

Strawberry Cream:  A slow starter but in three years makes a lovely clump of
orient pink rounded blooms.  A very different colour for MDBs.

Thrice Blessed:  Not the best SDB that I've seen but it is hardy and
reblooms consistently with no extra care.

Ruby Eruption:  Vigorous ruby on pale yellow plicata.  Makes a gorgeous
clump loaded with stalks quickly.

Gingerbread Man:  Old reliable golden brown and nothing newer in this colour
range has beat it yet that I've seen.

Yat Rock:  I can't describe the colour -- but it is definitely different.
Extremely vigorous grower and a good thing to because the borer love it and
it is susceptible to rot.  It's growth keeps it at a good sized clump every
year.  But it means that I never have any extras to give away.

Cherokee Sunrise:  I hope that this will prove to be good grower.  The
colour is magnificent.  It positively glows with sunrise colours.

Tu Tu Turquoise:  I love the blue on this one.  It takes a while to get
established though.  Dot Com is a look-a-like that blooms a little later.
It seems that it might grow a bit better than Tu Tu Turqoise.  If so, it
will replace it as a favourite.

Willowware:  Vigourous and hardy blue amoena.  It makes a wonderful clump
and will remain a favourite even though high winds will sometimes blow the
outer stalks down.

Carriwitched:  Somewhat slower growing for an IB but great stitching on this
purple plicata.

I know that I have a few more IBs that are favourites but I can't remember
them right now.

Consummation:  Great reliable dainty looking blue amoena.

Apricot Drops:  Vigorous clean apricot.

Joseph's Coat:  Love the wandering yellow colour.  Each bloom is different.

Cranapple:  Vigorous saturated red.

Very Varied:  Lovely purple streaked blooms.  Hardy with good growth habits.
It grows better than Batik for us.

Superstition:  It's unlikely this one will ever leave my garden.  The best
black I've grown.  When it's at peak bloom for the show, it always takes
Best Iris.

Xanthippes Halo:  Gorgeous glowing colour combined with vigour and

Syncopation:  My favourite bicolour.  The diamond dusting makes it glow.
Not only that but it has survived all sorts of weather.

Tiger Butter:  My favourite variegata.  Gorgeous delicate ruffles and it
survived neglect for five years before it complained by throwing up fewer
stalks and smaller blooms.

War Chief:  My favourite red.  Great stalks, great colour, great branching
and survives wind, freeze thaws and whatever else you throw at it.

Twist of Fate:  My first favourite iris that always caught everyone
attention in the garden and on the showbench.  Somewhat temperamental
though.  Grows well some years and not others for no discernible reason.

Fourfold White:  My first iris.

Chilled Wine:  It took a few years to get to its mature bloom height but the
colour is incredible.

Peg Edwards:  Lovely large blue with an incredibly long bloom period.

Our siberian collections has grown considerably in the past two years, so
this list will grow.

Gerald Darby:  invariably wins ribbons and comments at the local
horicultural show; great branching and bloom period

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)