Re:CULT:favorites

From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>

Finally took pen in hand and composed a list--then spent a couple days
revising--and know that I have forgotten some great ones--but mostly my
favorites are ones which are cold hardy--and since we have a short growing
season--usually only about 100 days or less--reblooming is almost
non-existent here--even though I have tried many median rebloomers--thinking
that the earlier season bloom might give the plants time enough to
rebloom--but so far--no luck there!!
I did not write much about each--mostly because some have been mentioned
before, with descriptions--(the first list I did was from the Symposium
list--some of these were on the symposium list--most are not)
Historics--Greenan Castle, Kilt Lilt--yes--it does grow and bloom here--for
about 15 years now--Kaleidescope--Ovation--(in a somewhat sheltered
area)--Bloodspot--still the best in its color class--Wabash-grows like a
weed here--Alaskan Crown--rarely mentioned--but still great
Aril-bred--Bozrah--Tabriz--(can grow AB's if at least 1/2 TB) most of the
newer ones do not survive
Space Age--Most do not have all the horns etc consistently--probably because
of the cold weather in Spring--but Unicorn always comes through!!! There are
21 new Space agers in our club garden--but not there long enough to really
rate--
TB  Capricious, Superstition--greatest black ever!!, Brown Lasso, River
Hawk, Dazzling Gold, Supreme Sultan, Afternoon Delight, Lorilee, Jesse's
Song, Eagle's Flight, Michigan Pride, Queen in Calico, Lady Friend,
Aphrodisiac
Border Bearded--Baboon Bottom, Calico Cat, Batik-always grows flowers larger
than it should--Mostest, Marmalade Skies, Feathered Friend--ever see this
one?  really interesting edges of petals--
IB's--Harlow Gold--about the best of all IB's here--Hubbub, Rare Edition,
Obligate, Logo, Hellcat, Butter Pecan, Prince of Burgundy, Az AP
SDB--Bedford Lilac, Teton Valley, Court Magician, Smell the roses, Oregold,
Desert Orange, Yat Rock, Raspberry Jam
MDB--Flea Circus, Nuggets, Garnet Elf, Zipper
MTB--Abridged Version, Robin Goodfellow, Reminiscence, Bumble  Bee Delight,
Bhutan Glory
Siberian--Dance Ballerina Dance, High Standards, Ewen, Indy, Shaker's
Prayer, Strawberry Faire, Steve
Spuria--Redwood Supreme, Missouri Streams, Looking Glass Eyes
I know that is quite more than 25--but all these do well in our cold--with
no snow cover--
Carryl in western Montana  Zone 3/4