SPEC-X: 'Beet Root' and 'Pixie Won' and others??

  • To: <iris-talk@onelist.com>
  • Subject: SPEC-X: 'Beet Root' and 'Pixie Won' and others??
  • From: "William Groth" <groth@rice.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:33:14 -0600

From: "William Groth" <groth@rice.edu>

I was perusing various web sites and noting some varieties of Irises which I
had hoped to try in
my gardens.  There was a group of species crosses that I saw and I was
wondering if they might
thrive in the hot humid climate here in Houston, TX  What does everyone
think??

The first is called 'Beet Root' which is a listed as I.x robusta, and is
described as a cross of
I. virginica and I. versicolor.  I noted some people have indicated that I.
virginica would do well
here but I. versicolor might not.  So what about a cross?

Another cross of I. virginica and I. versicolor is called 'Dark Aura'.
Again I ask about this
combination in a warm humid climate.

Then there is one called 'Pixie Won' which is a cross of I. pseudocorus and
I ensata.  What
climatic conditions does this require and would it possibly thrive with wet
spring / summer and
normally very mild winters?

The last one which looked very intriguing was 'Seuver Frumenty' which is a
cross of
I. pseudocorus and I. versicolor.  What are the possibilities of these
thriving in my climate?

William M. Groth
Houston, TX
USDA zone 8b/9a Texas Gulf Coast