Re: CULT: About the List Survey - Again

From: "Martha Brown" <mbrown@pldi.net>

I'm not sure of what value my list will be but here it is.

Of the original 8-10 Iris ( a magazine special from Cooley's) I planted
about 5 years ago in partial shade, very sandy soil, no particular
care---only 7 survived and bloomed in 1998.  They put on enough of a show to
encourage the purchase of additional rhizomes (close to 100 now) and
membership in AIS, and 8 of the sections or societies.  So they have to be
the favorites grown in my garden.  In order of performance:

SUPERSTITION- a nice large clump magnificent bloom.

FORTUNE TELLER- This is the one everyone stopped to comment on.

MULLED WINE- Third in clump size and bloom.

LEDA"S LOVER- came in fourth

Fifth was a nice blue whose tag was apparently relocated by the mole who
placed his run through the bed.

Sixth was a tie between COPPER CLASSIC and EDITH WOLFORD who both graced the
garden with one  puny bloom stalk  and very little increase.  EDITH didn't
bloom at all in 1999.

For those who have only graced the garden one year favorites have to be
IMMORTALITY, EARL of ESSEX and AUTUMN CIRCUS who bloomed in the spring and
rebloomed this fall.

Least favorite is a one year resident - RED AT NIGHT  who has been covered
with leaf spot while those around were hardly affected.

M Brown
NW Oklahoma, USA
USDA Zone 6b,  Sunset Zone 35