Re: OT-PLANTS: Lilac

From: HIPSource@aol.com

Greetings,

The very interesting Alice Harding, charter member of AIS for which the
yellow Cayeux iris was named, was, in addition to being an expert on peonies
and irises, very interested in lilacs, and was the author of a small but
extremely useful volume called Lilacs in My Garden (Macmillan, 1933). I
recommend it and, indeed, anything Mrs. Harding wrote. I wish she had done a
book on home fruit, for in one journal article she mentioned finding a peach
sprouting in her garden and recalling wandering around in peach season
accompanied by her chow dog, eating fruit warm off the tree and dropping the
spent pits, including that one. Her vivid sensory memory became my vivid
memory, too.  Anyway, Alice, who gardened in NJ, wrote a nice book on lilacs
to which Emile Lemoine wrote the forward and if you are interested in species
and older cultivars you may find it worth seeking out.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com