OT-BIO: Leona

From: leona1@airmail.net

Hi Iris-talkers,
   My name is Leona.  I have been growing iris for just about a year.
I didn't have much luck with the first rhizomes I bought from some
mail-order gardening suppliers.  The rhizomes were either dead when
I received them, died shortly after I planted them, or were misnamed.
I finally bought some from the local iris society sale which both grew
and were named correctly.  I joined the local society, Texoma Iris
Society, and am very grateful for the help and advice of its very
knowledgable, gracious, and generous members.  This summer, I either
purchased or was given about 150 more cultivars to add to my collection.
   My garden is in either Zone 7 or 8. I garden on a slope behind my
house.  It is surrounded by 40-50 foot oak trees, which keep it in
shade a big part of the day.  My garden is subject to the sizzling
heat, lack of rainfall, and high humidity of Texas summers.  It is also
subject to the hard freezes of Texas winters without the benefit of snow
cover.  I have soil that ranges from pure sand to sandy loam to clay.
This range of soils is about 10 to 15 inches deep on top of brick-hard
red clay.  I use a lot of compost that consists primarily of oak leaves.
I water fairly routinely throughout the summer.
   I have been lurking and reading the iris-talk archives.  The amount
of information in the archives is outstanding, thanks to you talkers!

Leona