Re: CULT: Survey - Favourites

From: "Paul Tyerman" <tyerman@hotmail.com>

>I am sending this information along to reach anyone who missed it a week
>This post is for those of you who may have been briskly deleting what you
>thought would be of no interest, or for those of you who have gotten lost
>the flurry of excited posts on several different but related topics under
>discussion at this time, or for those who are undecided about whether
>participating in this project is the best use of your valuable time.

     Guilty as charged (the skipping over bit).  Have made time though after
such a wonderful reminder....

My favourites....... Hmmmmmm!

Firstly, my conditions are fairly warm summers of up to 40'C with winters
down to a minimum of around -8'C (average is higher than this, but that is
about the minimum).  Often hot dry and windy.  Most rain in winter, but
seasons can vary.  2 summers ago we didn't have any significant rain between
November and May.

My favourites are not just contained to TBs and I hope that is OK.  I like a
lot of different irises.  However, I am not generally going to order them,
except within their type.

My overall favourite for bloom performance and stunning bloom would probably
be Dusky Challenger.  It really is a show stopper.  There are better flowers
around, but it's whole package is just GREAT!!

I love Bengal Tiger for much the same reasons.  Some don't think much of the
colour, but I love it.

I also saw Six Pack for the first time this year, and I think it's going to
have a permanent place in my favourites from now on too.  WOW!

Favourite Dwarf is definitely Making Eyes.  Can't beat it for its display
and multiplication each and every year.

Favourite Jap iris is far and away Peacock Dance.  Exceptional size and

I've also got to mention Gerald Darby.  This plant is looking stunning in
the garden at the moment.  I can't say that the individual flowers are that
showy, but the black flower stems, and the amount of flowers on my
established clump looks great.  The clump in the ground is growing MUCH
better than the pot in my pond...... so I'll not be keeping any of it in the
pond any more.

I also find that the various Pacific Coast hybrids I have grow extremely
well here.  I'd have to recommend them to anyone as a hardy iris that seldom
needs dividing, that puts on a stunning display year after year.

Hmmmmm...... 3 more to make 10........ what to choose, what to choose?

I haven't had Acoma for long, but the flowers this year were wonderful.
Extremely large (I don't know yet if this is standard or not) and look

Conjuration flowered for me the first time this year (in a polystyrene box
with 20 others that I didn't get time to plant this year..... suprised they
lived at all..... and this one flowered SO well.  Love the flowers.

And.... lastly Copatonic.  Wow!!  It is a flower you love of hate, but it
grows really well here, flowers every year, and I LOVE the colour.

Well.... there you go peoples.  I tried to distill it all down to 10, and I
think I did (if I added up right).  I hope no-one minds the non-TBs, but I
would definitely place them in my top 10 favourite irises that grow well
here in Canberra.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia
USDA Zone 8