Re: Re: CULT: I. japonica

From: "Patterson, Dallas" <nye@mail.fidalgo.net>

Hello Everyone,

We started growing our potted Iris japonica plants in the USDA Zone 10 of
the San Gabriel Valley in Los Angeles County, California. It bloomed
gloriously the entire month of March in 1994-95. In January 1996, we
moved during a bitter blizzard, and the movers left them outside too long
as they unpacked the moving van. As the temperature dropped to 16 degrees
F., the foliage of these poor plants turned from a healthy light green to
a ghastly and sickly dark green. Finally, they were moved into the
kitchen to recover as the the house was reheated. Despite this trauma,
none of these plants were lost, but they also did not bloom in 1996.

Since 1996, however, the plants have remained in their pots, and they
have faithfully bloomed each year. This is in USDA Zone 8 of Western
Washington and along the seacoast of Puget Sound. The secret to getting
reliable bloom from the potted I. japonica is to never allow the foliage
to become damaged by temperature extremes and other dangers. Once the
foliage is damaged, the plant will not bloom until it has recovered in a
subsequent year. To accomplish this, the potted plants are kept under the
overhanging eaves of the house, so the plants can avoid any damage by
frost. When the temperatures are forecast to go below 34 degrees F., the
pots are moved into the garage until the temperature rises above the
frost danger once more. They've been kept in the garage as long as a
couple of months in the winter.

The potting medium is a standard soilless potting medium consisting of
peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite. We've used liquid fertililzers, but
you could try azalea/camellia fertilizers. They are repotted from time to
time to keep them from becoming root-bound.

The healthy and happy plants have provided dozens of blossoms each over a
period of several weeks. Although this occurred in March in Southern
California, they bloom about May here in Western Washington. The blossoms
and foliage of I. japonica and its close relatives qualify them as truly
beautiful and special forms of iris. They are entirely worth the effort
to grow them in any climate, whether indoors and/or outdoors.

For a description of this and related species, see:

Köhlein, Fritz; et al. Iris. Portland, OR: Timber Press; 1981. 2nd
Printing 1989. ISBN 0-88192-049-5; Pp. 179-181.

Dallas Patterson
nye@fidalgo.net
USDA Zone 8 W. Washington
AIS, SIGNA, SPCNI, et al