Re: CULT: Favorite 'Lost' Irises

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>I would like to see a list of 'lost' irises
>---ones you discarded, foolishly gave away without keeping a start
>for yourself, or died and now want back but cannot find.
>	Walter Moores
>	Enid Lake, MS 7/8

My first irises came from a friend who was moving house to rented
accomodation. I had previously killed my one and only TB, with too much
water.
She had the names, but had not kept them tagged. The list included:
Elisabeth Noble
Choir Girl
Alpine Ghost
Eleanor's Pride
Coffee Capri
Sierra Skies
Pinnacle
Sable Night
Bright Side
Frontier Marshall
New Snow

I planted all and they all grew well, but I only had flowers from a few, and
had no interest in their names, until I became interested in modern TB's a
few years ago. I then attempted a match and ended up with:
Eleanor's Pride
Elisabeth Noble
Helen Collingwood (which was not on her original list)
New Snow
Frontier Marshall
Bright Side
Choir Girl
Coffee Capri
Sierra Skies

The last two I gave away, and Choir Girl accidentally went with them. This
is a lovely pink related to Vanity, but I'm not fussed about getting it
back.
I was disappointed not to have Sable Night or Pinnacle, so I approached the
nursery from whence they came, only to discover that the nursery man could
only identify them when in bloom. Finally, last Tuesday, I collected two
starts of what should prove to be Pinnacle, and one start of, hopefully,
Sable Night. Having always been taught to give things the benefit of the
doubt, I have learnt the benefit of doubting everything, and will only be
convinced when I see them both in flower next year.
If the colours are right, the names will be right, as they have been grown
in isolation for many years, and there is a list of only 30cv's to choose
from.

Fingers crossed - Jan Clark