Re: Best Growers/Bloomers

From: "Perry Dyer" <pdyer@flash.net>

From Perry Dyer, Blanchard, OK
Coming out of lurkdom for just a minute -- it's been a rough autumn for me

We can't have Donald put together a "best" list without SOMEONE from
Oklahoma.  25 ain't easy.  Ask me tomorrow, the list will probably change
again:

TB's:
Act Three (Blyth 1995), overlooked, improved Edith Wolford, surprise here
past 2 seasons
Aztec Sun (Dyer 1982), still sunfast and competitive after all these years
Beverly Sills (Hager 1979), best pink, overall, of all times for me
Classic Look (Schreiner 1992), clean crisp violet on white plicata, elegant
stalks
Fondation Van Gogh (Anfosso 1990), French, the best apricot amoena I have
Going My Way (Gibson 1982), bold violet on white plicata, a Dykes that got
away
High Life (Schreiner 1964), still magnificent royal wine on white plicata
Holy Night (Mohr 1983), classical full violet, another that missed the Dykes
Honky Tonk Blues (Schreiner 1988), wonderful distinctive deep blue marbled
white
Joyce Terry (Muhlestein 1974), the most overlooked iris of this half of the
century; won an AM, but should've won the Dykes, bright joyful yellow with
white falls with wide yellow band
Lion's Share (Jameson 1992), magnificent, resilient cream flushed pale
yellow
Murrah Memorial (Bianco 1998), carved wax in white with chiseled ruffling,
classical, from Italy
Nora Eileen (Richardson 1994), overlooked rich tapestry colors in
magenta/wine
Planned Treasure (Burger 1985), bright showy pink/lavender bicolor, husky
Rhonda Fleming (Mullin 1993), sensational lilac-orchid on white plicata,
Oklahoma-bred
Silverado (Schreiner 1987), my favorite iris, ever
Wild Wings (Keppel 1999), my favorite new iris, sophisticated bitoned black
with red beards

BB:
Cranapple (Aitken 1995), Dykes-performing deep cranberry with nearly
chocolate beards

IB:
Frosty Elegance (C. Palmer 1994), the most overlooked median of this decade,
pure white, substance like leathery, ruffled
Rare Edition (Gatty 1980), the benchmark of medians, a violet on white
plicata which should've won the Dykes

SDB:
Chanted (Blyth 1990), bright dependable pink that will go down as a
progenitor in breeding
Cotton Blossom (B. Jones 1970), still competitive warm white with incredible
form
Minidragon (Smith 1998), most stunning new dwarf, deep red-black, bright
carrot red beards
Ruby Eruption (Chapman 1997), most overlooked new dwarf, dazzling wine on
yellow plicata
Serenity Prayer (Dyer 1989), probably my best intro overall, mother-of-pearl
with blue beard

Back to lurking,
Perry Dyer
oh yea, Zone 7, I guess -- we had our FIRST FREEZE last night, only down to
31 degrees F

>From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Some states aren't