Re: Re: CULT: I. japonica

From: Mike00Rita@aol.com

The I. japonica I have grows and blooms under the pear trees receiving some
summer sun. I divide it frequently now that it is established. From Carla
Lankow (who grows hers beautifully in a pot) her suggestion is to winter it
over in a protected location as the freezing of the flower buds usually in
Feb. is why some people see only occasional bloom. I do feed In my site the
biggest culprit is the slugs-so baiting is a necessity. Most of the time I
have an abundance of lovely fronds -- last year was not good. Replenishment
of nutrients is really important.  In the "World of Iris" it recommends:
"good drainage, partial shade, loamy slightly acid soil high in humus
content. Azalea and Camilla fertilizers both in soil prep and as a side
dressing ".  It works for me.

Rita B
Wet western WA state
F 47, feeling very drowsy after a lovely "turkey day" with family after
watching the big parades on TV, then a dose of "Wizard of Oz" just for old
times sake.