TB:CULT: Disappearing Seeds, for the Starlord

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/22/99 10:43:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
starlord@QNET.COM writes:

<<   I got a bunch of seeds in todays mail, i elive they are t.b. seeds,
 now i need to know just how to handle them. last year i got some and
 soaked them for a week and planted them in a pot full of potting soil
 and loal soil mixed. by mid summer the seeds were not there any more,
 either worms, or rot? did them in. now should i soak these or should i
 just put'm in the same kind of soil all the iris are going in?>>

Dennis, I've had seeds disappear on me, too, and often it has been birds
coming up to the pots and pecking them out. Rodents could find them, too;
mice like seeds. And I wonder about ants, sometimes. Rot is another
possibility as well, although I would not expect you to loose every single
one that way. So I don't think the soaking was the problem unless you let
them soak entirely too long. But soaking is not necessary really, it just
speeds things along. If you get any chill there you could just sow them in
little pots of potting soil and leave them out somewhere where the elements
can get to them and then wait for them to come up in the spring--protecting
against their being eaten, of course.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com