Re: CULT:SPEC: Lloyd's I. tectorum

From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)

>From: HIPSource@aol.com
>
>Dr. Z said:
>
><< I thinkthere is nothing lovlier in the garden than I tectorum alba. (Oddly
>I grew
>many seedlings from this, and all have been some shade of lavender-violet
>with various amounts of stippling in a deeper color.)>>
>
>Since since there would be nothing 'odd' --to use Dr.Z's  term-- about
>getting lavender seedlings if lavender tectorum was in the garden, I thought
>Lloyd MIGHT be saying he had effected a cross between tectorum and some other
>iris, possibly a bearded one as in the PALTEC cross, about which I would
>certainly like to hear more. Hence my question.
>
>Lloyd, if you are there, have you accomplished this?
>
>Anner Whitehead
>HIPSource@aol.com
Dear Annner:  I have not grown PALTEC for many years. To the best of my
knowledge it is sterile. But I do also grow I tectorum, the "violet" form,
and some of its pollen could have been carried by insects. Even so, I would
have hoped fo r the odd white seedling.  It would seem the white is a
recessive. Sincerely, Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC Zone 7.5 to 8.