SPEC: Paltec

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>Dear Annner:  I have not grown PALTEC for many years. To the best of my
>knowledge it is sterile. But I do also grow I tectorum, the "violet" form,
>and some of its pollen could have been carried by insects. Even so, I would
>have hoped fo r the odd white seedling.  It would seem the white is a
>recessive. Sincerely, Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC Zone 7.5 to 8.

How easy is it to do the PALTEC cross? In an idle moment, I daubed a bit of
tectorum (blue) pollen on a Pallida flower, and, to my surprise, it took. I
didn't think it would be quite that easy.
Do I expect a variety of offspring, or, being F1's will they all be much the
I also have some Bee pods on tectorum, so will grow these, hoping for a
white offspring, which I probably won't get.

The Bees around here are discerning in their hybridising efforts. I have
never had bee pods on TB's before, but this year I have 8, all on 2 stalks
of SKY HOOKS. They are either selfs or crossed with JANE PHILIPS, or
ALTRUIST, unless the bee has bought pollen in from much further afield. He
obviously has an interest in SA irises, so maybe he visited THORNBIRD or
GODSEND first.

Cheers, and Happy thanksgiving, Jan Clark