HIST:SPEC: PALTEC

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/26/99 2:29:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
janclarx@hotmail.com writes:

<<  How easy is it to do the PALTEC cross? In an idle moment, I daubed a bit
of
 tectorum (blue) pollen on a Pallida flower, and, to my surprise, it took. I
 didn't think it would be quite that easy. >>

PALTEC (Denis 1912) is a cross of I. tectorum and EDINA , a form of I.
pallida. In that cross the tectorum was the pod parent. LOPTEC was a cross
between I.tectorum and I. cengialtii loppio, with the tectorum as pollen
parent. I. cengialtii is a delicate form of I. pallida.

I personally don't know how difficult the cross actually is. The anecdotal
evidence is  that others have tried and it hasn't taken. The presumption is
that you are working against very considerable odds since you are talking
about a bearded iris and a crested (beardless Evansia) iris. My impression is
that it is of a level of difficulty that would make success on the first try
unusual.

Hence my interest when it sounded like Lloyd might have been working in this
area and gotten some seedlings, all of which were lavender. But it developed
that he was musing that he wasn't getting any white tectorum seedlings when
they were open pollinated with lavender ones in his garden.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com