Re: OT-Bio - Peter Maynard

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/26/99 2:56:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Peter.Maynard@btinternet.com writes:

<< Grow some bearded for garden trials  but mainly  grow and breed  P.C.Is,
along with Siberians and species. Growing in S.E.England, coastal plain, USDA
equiv: Zone 8, soil neutral sandy loam. Reading your enjoyable messages I
sometimes wonder if I have joined the most suitable  robin for my interests
but will hang around for a while and see! >>

Welcome, Peter.

This is really the place to be to discuss irises of all sorts. There is, I
believe, a list which is concerned exclusively with Siberians, and another
which is concerned with Louisianas, but we are the sole arena in which to
discuss irises of any kind, including Siberians and Louisianas, as well as
Japanese irises, Arils and arilbred irises, Spurias, Pacific Coast irises,
Junos, and any Iris species.

This list includes people from all over the North American continent, as well
as some from abroad. Necessarily we must grow what can be grown where we find
ourselves, but we are always interested in learning about and discussing
irises of more narrow growing requirements. As Kathy Guest noted in another
context, we'd love to hear more about exotic irises.

Which Iris species are of paramount interest to you at this time? And would
you be inclined to offer us a list of perhaps two dozen irises of any age or
kind which have proven to be good garden plants for you according to your own
definition? We are in the process of a highly informal and subjective little
survey in which we are sharing some information about this subject. My friend
Donald Eaves in Texas is keeping some records and informs me that over sixty
of the list members have offered information. We would very much like to hear
from more of our members abroad.

We are happy you are among us and we would be delighted to have your thoughts
on any Iris subject that interests you.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA USDA 7
HIPSource@aol.com