OT - Bio: Kathy Haggstrom

  • To: Iris-talk e-mail list <iris-talk@onelist.com>
  • Subject: OT - Bio: Kathy Haggstrom
  • From: Haggstroms <hagg@alaska.net>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 17:56:48 -0900
  • Disposition-Notification-To: Haggstroms

From: Haggstroms <hagg@alaska.net>

I was on this list more than a year ago, but had to drop off for a while because
of an accident. I missed the interesting iris information while I was gone, and
look forward to the continued reading.
I have an old Bio, so I hate to get too lengthy - I'll just say I grow Iris
setosas as a serious hobby/living. That means I breed and grow  setosa for sale,
but don't make a living at it. I live in Anchorage, Alaska USA, and also at my
homestead 40 air miles north of there, which is where I grow my iris, on some
old converted sphagnum bogs in the woods on the edge of a large swampland - sort
of the ideal setosa growing area.
There are many wild setosa growing in my general locale, in suitable swamps and
on the salt water flats, so this area is a good  one from which to choose wild
stock.
I enjoy the whole concept of breeding/growing flowers, and, as I've always loved
the "Alaskan Iris" since I was a little girl, it is natural for me to be doing
what I am. I have no formal training in Botany or Horticulture, so I consider
myself  an amateur. I am mostly here to learn (or at least ask stupid
questions:-).
Kathy Haggstrom
Anchorage, AK
zone 3