Re: CAT:Spuria

From: DWiris@aol.com

In a message dated 11/27/99 11:18:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
koekkoek@mtcnet.net writes:

<< Our Siouxland Iris Society had Jim Hedgecock, national VP of the Spuria
Society, as guest speaker in September.  He had a great program, lots of
slides, and he made a great case for spurias as a care-free (no rot, no leaf
spot, only problem something called mustard seed fungus in some places)
plant.  >>

Hi Arnold,

Many years ago I grew quite a few spurias in my zone 5 garden, many of them
Ben Hager's varieties.  However, I gave up on them because they were devoured
in winter by mice and in summer by iris borers.  I find it hard to believe
Dave Niswonger's garden can be zone 5.  He is south of St. Louis, which is
south of Cleveland and is next to the Mississippi River.  His irises bloom
much earlier in the spring than ours.

Dorothy Willott