CULT:soft rot

From: mmboehm@attglobal.net

I'm plagued with soft rot here in CT because of cool wet soil and I have
a particularly wet lot.  The extraordinarily well drained spots (we are
talking arid) don't produce rot, but that's very little of the yard.  In
the past year another iris friend and I have had good luck with an over
the counter product called "Hibiclens", an antiseptic/antimicrobial skin
cleanser for human beings.  The active ingredient, per the label, is
chlorhexidine gluconate - what ever that is.  When I detect the soft
rhizome, what I've been doing is leaving the rhizome in place and
cutting shallowly through the skin of the rhizome and pouring a drop or
two of the Hibiclens right on the mush.  Sometimes I've diluted the drop
with about 2 cups of water in a little watering can.  So far, in every
case and there have been many, the rhizome has hardened up.  Now, I've
also had untreated rhizomes split about 1/4 inch and then firm up on
their own so it may just be the slight exposure of the mushy inside to
sun and air.
The Hibiclens was originally suggested to me by a nurseryman who
recommended it diluted to stop clematis wilt.  It does seem to work for
that too.
Margaret Boehm
Wilton, CT zone 6