Re: CAT:Spuria

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 11/26/1999 11:45:11 PM Central Standard Time,
carrylm@bigsky.net writes:

<< do you think that
 there are cold climate and warm climate Spurias?  the answer was a definite
 'yes'-- >>

I can't really speak to this question since I've only grown modern irises in
Warren County KY.  And even then I grew less than half a dozen Spurias.  I
was making a lame attempt <grin> to keep from hunting through the old
catalogs.  Some still have dust on them. <cough, cough, cough!>  I couldn't
remember the full name of any of them.  <hanging my head in shame>

COUNTESS ZEPPLIN-Hager 87  (Great wild color)--grew well--tall (Latest to
bloom of the small group--now where did I put those bee pod seed??)

HEADWAY- Hager 86--Beautiful yellow but didn't grow or bloom well for me.

BARBARA'S KISS-McCown 82-Grew well

SOCIAL LADY-Rowland 88-Grew well

These were purchased from Shepards and grew as described for me.  I live 200
miles (road miles-MUCH less as the bird flies) east and south of Niswonger.
He lives in and near the Mississippi valley.  Very nice soil in the general
area.  My sister, who lives 100 miles west & south of him, has milder winters
than I do.  What signifigance does this have?  I'm not sure!  But I doubt
that his winters are much worse than mine.  Rather small temperature
difference.

I never mulched these; however, I lived with MANY old maple trees and the
leaves would blow in against the ridge I grew them on.  I left the leaves
until spring.

I highly recommend CZ to anyone that likes exotic colors.

Betty in BG KY