Re: CULT:SPEC: Lloyd's I. tectorum

From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)

>>From: HIPSource@aol.com
>>
>>Dr. Z said:
>>
>><< I thinkthere is nothing lovlier in the garden than I tectorum alba. (Oddly
>>I grew
>>many seedlings from this, and all have been some shade of lavender-violet
>>with various amounts of stippling in a deeper color.)>>
>>
>>Since since there would be nothing 'odd' --to use Dr.Z's  term-- about
>>getting lavender seedlings if lavender tectorum was in the garden, I thought
>>Lloyd MIGHT be saying he had effected a cross between tectorum and some other
>>iris, possibly a bearded one as in the PALTEC cross, about which I would
>>certainly like to hear more. Hence my question.
>>
>>Lloyd, if you are there, have you accomplished this?
>>
>>Anner Whitehead
>>HIPSource@aol.com
>Dear Annner:  I have not grown PALTEC for many years. To the best of my
>knowledge it is sterile. But I do also grow I tectorum, the "violet" form,
>and some of its pollen could have been carried by insects. Even so, I would
>have hoped fo r the odd white seedling.  It would seem the white is a
>recessive. Sincerely, Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC Zone 7.5 to 8.
Dear Anner: No, I have not tried bearded pollen on the tectorums, but will
certainly try a few crosses this year. Thank you for the challenge. I will
also try the tectorum alba on the seedlings aforementioned.  One very nice
stalk on a new seedling bred for rebloom and Space-Age . Hope he warm
weather continues until it is open. This has been lovely weather, - much
much nicer than summer was.  Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC  Also had a nice
SDB last week S blue F aqua-green.