Re: SPEC: Iris polystachya Thunb.

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/27/99 11:09:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
d.slootmans@worldonline.nl writes:

<<  Dear Anner,thank you very much for your kind help, my plant is in its
 juveniles and i will keep it in my small greenhouse for the winter.>.

I think that would be a very good idea. I think they may be tender,
especially if they are very young. After I sent you that information I
remembered that I did have a source of more current data than Hortus Third. I
have looked in my RHS Index of Garden Plants and the name and authority I
gave you is still correct and the Index says that as a group the butterfly
irises are generally hardy to USDA Zone 9.

<< I have more species allied to Iris from the southern hemisphere,do you
know of other members which are interested in those ? >>

Mark Cook in Florida has been very interested in the subject and I imagine
many of the rest of us here are as well. We occasionally get a discussion
going on Dietes or something similar. Are you a member of SIGNA, the Species
Iris Group of North America? SIGNA is an international special interest group
affiliated with AIS  which is concerned with the wider world of species
irises. Here is the address of the webpage:
http://www.effectnet.com/prj/signa/

And do you have the recent book I alluded to earlier? It is not exhausive but
it is an interesting one:  CAPE BULBS, by Richard Doutt, Timber Press 1994. I
believe these Timber Press books are also available overseas. As I read your
address you are in the Netherlands, is this correct?

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,Virginia, USA Zone 7
HIPSource@aol.com