Re: SPEC: Iris polystachya Thunb.

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/27/99 12:21:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
d.slootmans@worldonline.nl writes:

<< I try to collect apart from the Genus Iris more southern hemisphere
species,I am not a member of any other group,i started growing and knowing
the southern 'Irises' because in holland there are no good collections of
these,and i think they are better to use in my muggy winter /summer
conditions.Cool but wet, as I am used to protected my plants in situ during
during cold air masses coming in from E-Europe and Russia,.in winter  I
started 10 years ago with southern hemisphere irises
 (is there a better word to use?)  >>

How fascinating! South Africa is very alkaline, I believe. I don't object to
the phrase "southern hemisphere irises" but I believe most people would use
the term Irid and that would help avoid confusion with other types of irises
grown in the southern hemisphere such as in Australia, or even in South
America where myfriend Donald of this list saw quite a few bearded irises
blooming spendidly in a recent visit.

I wonder if you would have sucess with some of the native water irises of the
USA? They are not as exotic in appearance as the South African Irids, but
they might be quite happy in your sodden earth and some would be hardy there.
We on this list have found that the very remarkable I. fulva is quite hardy,
to Zone 5 at least that I recall.

Have you visited Rodney Barton's native North American irises page? You might
find it interesting. http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com