Re: CAT:Spuria

Dorothy, Dennis, et al:
    When I got my lst spuria I planted it like a TB, and it took quite a few years before it multiplied and bloomed.  Subsequently I learned from Larry Harder and others (confirmed by Jim Hedgecock in Sept., by the way) that spurias have to be put deeper, perhaps as much as 2 inches.  Much more satisfactory results in terms of quicker bloom since then, and I never have mulched them.  Never a mouse problem, either.  I can't speak to borers, since I don't have them (I knock on all available wood, and give thanks often) in my garden.
Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250
e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net