Re: HIST:SPEC: PALTEC

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>PALTEC (Denis 1912) is a cross of I. tectorum and EDINA , a form of >I.
>pallida. In that cross the tectorum was the pod parent.

My cross was between I. Pallida (AJ - being the initials of the person who
gave me the start) and I. tectorum (mauve)

>I personally don't know how difficult the cross actually is. The >anecdotal
>evidence is  that others have tried and it hasn't taken. >The presumption
>is that you are working against very considerable >odds since you are
>talking about a bearded iris and a crested >(beardless Evansia) iris. My
>impression is that it is of a level of >difficulty that would make success
>on the first try unusual.

Which all makes me think I might not have what I had hoped for.
I can think of 3 possibilities:

1. Beginners luck, 1 flower pollenated, 1 pod of I. pallida x I. tectorum.

2. An air pod (but it looks rather full of seeds)

3. An selfed pod, perhaps caused by my invasion of the flower.

I am interested in a description of PALTEC. I will grow my seeds to
determine what I have. I'm sure that, if they are species crosses, they will
be significantly different to pallida seedlings, and I will be able to
identify them as such. I'd like to hear what others think.

Cheers, Jan Clark, in Australia, where it is blazing hot, and summer is
imminent.