Re:SPU: recommendations

From: fleurdelis <fleurdelis@snowcrest.net>

I also would like to hear some more discussion about Spurias.

I purchased 8 from Bay View Gardens (they sent a total of 11) the summer
before last and would highly reccomend them as a source.  All 11 of them
lived through the first winter and all but one of them bloomed the first
year!  This is very unusual from what I have read. Most sources say
Spurias will take two to three years to bloom.

The only reason that I did not purchase more this year was because the
blooms were seriously attacked by ants.  To the point that the blooms
lasted less than a day and were then eaten up.  If I can find a solution
to this problem before summer I will purchase  more.  This needs to be an
organic solution, I prefer not to use dangerous chemicals.

Any ideas out there?

Sandra Archibald
Ashland, Oregon
Zone 6-7