RE: CULT: ants on spuria

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

From: Irisacher@aol.com

Ants?  Is it possible that it was aphids doing the real damage, and the
ants were just "tending" the aphids?  Not that this solves the problem, but
we should know what we're dealing with. I didn't think that ants would
cause this kind of damage.<<<

We have at least 1/2 a dozen varieties of ants here and it seems that the
ones who herd aphids are not the same as the ones the plants try to attract
with their nectar. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

This last season it was a rather easy trick to get rid of the "aphid
ranchers" by spraying their herds with pyrethrin. Even if it wasn't enough
to kill all of their aphids, they took the hint and moved.

Blooms being "eaten up" sounds more like the kind of damage grasshoppers or
caterpillars might do.

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA