Re: Re: HIST: SPEC: Paltec (pallida crosses)

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/28/99 7:20:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lmann@mailhub.icx.net writes:

<<  Before I read the World of Irises and learned that crosses of with
pallida were difficult,  >>

I have not checked the Archives for the discussion, Linda, but I cannot find
the passage in WOI to which you are referring.

My understanding has always been that I. pallida and I. variegata in their
several forms were the progenitors of "hundreds" of early the diploid
hybrids. pp. 44, 51, and pallida, with tetraploid species produced some
important early tets p.52. In "Garden Irises" Randolph notes crosses of
pallida with numerous other species.p.520.

The presumed difficulty of the PALTEC cross resides in the fact that it
involves crossing a bearded iris and a crested iris.

What am I missing here?

Of PALTEC the WOI says on p. 267, "Although subsequent similar hybrids have
been produced, they have not persisted." It is described in WOI as having
"the plant characteristics of tectorum" and, blooming with the talls,
produces "many sleekly smooth and beautifully formed liliac-blue
flowers."p.267.

I'll add that it shows to best advantage alone or with rock garden perennials
rather than with the complex forms and colors of many of the bearded irises
of the same vintage, but this is personal taste speaking. It shares the same
disadvantage of many of the evansias of being found delicious by slugs.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com