From: linda Mann
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 1999 5:26 AM
Subject: [iris-talk] Re: HIST: SPEC: Paltec (pallida crosses)

Before I read the World of Irises and learned that crosses of with
pallida were difficult, and before I knew where the stigmatic lip was on
an iris bloom, I was merrily smearing modern TB pollen on the crest of
the style arm of pallida blooms and getting lots of seeds.  From the
list back in the early days, I learned this supposedly wasn't easy.
Now, there are lots of little F2 seedlings coming along from those
crosses and a whole row of ugly little pallida X TB seedlings.

I also managed to get a pod with a few seeds from RASPBERRY JAM (modern
SDB) x I. germanica ("sterile" IB) this year.

But DUSKY CHALLENGER never seems to make pollen here.  And CRYSTAL
GLITTERS, according to one lister, never makes pollen for her, but I
have a big row of seedings from GOLDEN APPLE x CRYSTAL GLITTERS.

So, just because some folks have not had success with particular species
crosses doesn't mean it's impossible, or even necessarily difficult - if
just means that under their growing conditions, with their plants, it
didn't work.  There was a recent article somewhere (the Bulletin?) about
successful IB crosses - something else that is supposed to be very
difficult.

My guess is that you've got what you think you've got, Jan.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
wishing I had a nice batch of tectorum to make my own pallida crosses.

Click Here