Re: Re: HIST: SPEC: Paltec (pallida crosses)

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/28/99 1:03:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dkramb@badbear.com writes:

<<  Was the original pallida used in PALTEC a diploid?  If so, maybe it's
 easier to get this cross today, using the modern tetraploids.>>

The original pallida was called EDINA. You can see a photo of what we believe
is this iris on the HIPS page. I really don't know enough about genetics to
speculate further, Dennis. I am only reporting what my best understanding to
date has been. Perhaps someone expert about that aspect of things will
enlighten us. I'd adore to find the PALTEC cross was a gimme. I've been
wanting to try a batch of Dykes' MOONLIGHT and white tectorums for some time.

<< Anner, I loved your comment about tectorum being an "idiot's delight" to
 germinate.  I'm trying it for the first time just now when I received a
 package of Iris tectorum alba seeds.  It will be interesting to see if they
 are truly white, or lavendar like Dr. Z's.>>

Mais oui. Soak them for three to five days, sow them on the surface of moist
vermiculite or seedling mix, press in gently but do not cover seeds with
medium, cover whole pot with saran, place in warm room near but not in a
sunny window, keep moist but not wet, expect germination in ten days to two
weeks. No chill needed. Any that mold at the umblicus are dead and should be
removed with tweezers. I start mine inside in mid February and with moving
them up into progressively larger pots have multifanned plants to set out in
the fall. Bloom the next year. It does not get any easier.

<< For a brief moment I thought IDIOT'S DELIGHT would be a cute name for an
 iris.  but then I realized it's actually an insult to the person that likes
 that iris!  I couldn't imagine a Dyke's winner being called that.  <g!>>>

A phrase of my mother's, actually. Probably not very PC, now that I think
about it, nor kind, but instantly recognizable....

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com