Re: SPU:cult

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Carryl M. wrote:

><< And the mice never did say 'thank-you' for providing them with room and
> board for the winter--several of the other persons present told tales of
> almost the same having happened to them--so if you have very m >>

	I don't grow any Spurias (yet) but I always use pine needles for
	mulching bearless irises. Never saw a rodent near one yet...xx
	= fingers crossed (not blowing kisses). :)

	The pine needles do not pack down to 'suffocate' the irises and
	they have the added advantage of staying put in our mountain
	winds. I do not mulch bearded altho I did so a few years back
	with no bad results meaning no more rot than usual from the
	spring rains.

	The pine needles do not have to be take off the beds in the
	spring and they seem to decompose thereby feeding the very
	hungry beardless irises.

	Just my experience in my own gardens..

Ellen Gallagher    /     e_galla@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /   Zone  3
Berlin, NH    in   'The Great North Woods'
Sunset Zone 44    /  http://www.ncia.net/
To subscribe to Siberian iris e-mail robin:

To view the Siberian iris archives:

Society for Siberian Irises web page: