Re: CULT: ants on spuria;

From: Dianne Dalla Santa <dalla@apollo.ruralnet.net.au>

 >The only reason that I did not purchase more this year was because the
 blooms were seriously attacked by ants.

Believe me ants do munch on spuria flowers. Look closely at the blooms and
you will see tiny droplets of very sweet nectar at the base of the petals.
It is very sweet, I've tasted it and the ants stream all over the flower to
harvest it and possibly spread further afield with their tiny feet making
the rest of the flower desirable to eat.  I find that they even attack the
bloom while still in bud resulting in not very attractive fimbriated edges.
In the worst cases I sprinke ant dust around the base of the clump. I also
think that deep within the roots of older established clumps there is
probably an entire formicary with a ready supply of food in the attic.

Dianne in Red Cliffs,Victoria, Oz where the overcast sky is wonderful for
the colour of daylilies now in bloom.