TB: SPEC: pallida & TWOI

From: linda Mann <lmann@mailhub.icx.net>

Oops - Anner is going to make me dig up my copy of TWOI (the World of

The cross that I understood to be difficult was getting fertile hybrids
from pallida (diploid) X modern TBs (tetraploid).  Or getting tetraploid
fertile hybrids or something or other...about using pallida for crosses.

But I also got the fuzzy impresssion that making diploid x tetraploid
crosses to get seeds that could be handled like regular tet x seeds and
get 'normal' germination rates (whatever that is) was not easy usually.

Well, there, is that garbled enough for everybody?  :)

But I would expect that the farther from each other in both chromosome
number (pairs) and the content of those chromosomes, the harder it is to
get successful 'takes' (e.g., pallida x tectorum).

What's 2n for tectorum?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
enjoying moist soil and much much better air quality.