CULT: Aphids, Ants & Birds

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Message text written by Dorothy Stiefel:

Hmmm.  Ants?  Is it possible that it was aphids doing the real damage, and
the ants were just "tending" the aphids?  Not that this solves the problem,

but we should know what we're dealing with. I didn't think that ants would
cause this kind of damage.
<

Many years ago, a friend complained that many of her buds didn't even get a
chance to open.  Watching the garden from a discreet distance, we saw that
the culprit was a small bird.  Don't know whether the insect population was
otherwise low and it was exceptionally hungry, or just thought she'd
provided it a convenient lunch countery but her flowers were being shredded
by a bird attacking the ants that were attending aphids.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com