Re: Re: HIST: SPEC: Paltec (pallida crosses)

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Hi all,
Thanks to all those who have contributed to this discussion so far, and
especially to Christie, who gave me a pointer to a PALTEC photo on the web.

Linda, the chromosome counts are as follows:
I. tectorum 2N = 28
I. Pallida 2N = 24

Someone commented about a tetraploid pallida. Does this exist? I would
expect mine to be a diploid plant.

If Sharon is out there, I would like some advice re genetics. It may be that
I have oversimplified things, but I think it is true that most species
plants are genetically homozygous. That is, their genes take the form of AA,
BB, CC etc.
If this is so, I would expect all crosses between the same 2 parents of I.
pallida and I. tectorum to have almost exactly the same genetic make up, and
be for the most part, identical. Am I correct?
This is the basis for producing F1 seedlings from stock plants of pansies,
etc, and producing F1 chickens from pure bred stock.

I'm hoping to get some flowers on my Pallida varegata next season, so I can
attempt this cross using the Pallida as pod parent. In the meantime, I will
grow my 'unknown' seeds and see what they turn out to be.
Cheers, Jan Clark