Re: Re: CULT: About the List Survey

From: Marcia D Connolly <connollym@juno.com>

Hello Anner,
  Youíre right. I do so enjoy reading the iris-talk posts.  Iíll venture
out of lurkdom for this one.

Unfortunately several of my favorites are unknowns. Although the lady who
gave them to me mentioned their names, it (cough) didnít seem too
important to write them down at the time.  Thus we have:
1) The Pink/Maroon One. My favorite.  So pretty from 20 feet away on the
porch. But not  up close.  It has this orange beard. . .
2) The Purple Edged One which I now call The Plicata. A beautiful flower
and I like the sound of the word - Plicata.
3) The Yellow One - Pretty sure she called it SUNSITE because she spelled
out s-i-t-e.
4) The Siberian.  Guess itís a SIB although it blooms earlier than the
other SIBs. It makes an impact every year and goes well with the moss
rose.

I realize that these are not tabulatable (is that a word?), but they
really are my favorites.

But now, having joined AIS, ISM, and read posts here, I keep track of
names! These are the ones I especially like ó this year at least.
5) SERENITY PRAYER (SDB)
6) MAUI MOONLIGHT (IB)
7) BLUE LINE (SDB)  -  pristine white with a bright blue beard. Wow!  I
got it because the name is a hockey term.
8)The SIBs - especially  BRIDAL JIG, JAMAICAN VELVET, TRIM THE VELVET,
MESA PEARL.  And in the taste test category, Mag-cat would vote for AQUA
WHISPERS.
9) LEMON POP (IB) - Lucy was right.  Itís a good one.
10) WABASH (TB) - An elegant flower. Makes the TBs nearby look chunky.
11) VANITY (TB) - The New England pink, someone said.
12) STREETWALKER (TB) - Aptly named.  Flamboyant. Gaudy.  Too much
makeup.  I love it!

All of the above bloom every year,  look good from the porch, and thrive
despite neglect.

 We live in Massachusetts, Zone 5, on what was formerly a sand pit.
Drainage is not a problem!  The soil is very acid - pines, oaks, and
lowbush blueberries nearby.  The snow cover is unreliable and I have
collected bags of pine needles for mulch once the ground freezes.

Marcia Connolly