CULT: Termites - a buggy problem

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

--- Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu> wrote:
> Well, it's not PURE poppycock... but mostly so.  I know
> of no evidence that
> pine needles "draw" termites.  Wood-eating termites would
> have no interest
> in pine needles.  However, heaps of pine needles or any
> other such material
> up against the house would make termite infestations
> difficult to detect
> and would also provide the damp conditions termites
> require to survive.
> Most professional entomologists and extension agents hold
> exterminators in
> the deepest contempt.  Their agents are usually poorly
> trained and know
> little about the relevant aspects of insect biology.
> What they do know is
> how to scare people about termites and other insects, so
> they will buy
> their services.  I suppose there are ethical
> exterminators around, but one
> hears of them so rarely they must be an endangered
> species.

   V. sez:
   We had an exterminator tell us that the house was
infested with termites. A "second opinion" exterminator
said, "No bugs here!!!"
   Turned out that my wooden head was what was full of
termites. But those of you on the list already knew that...

Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6

"Here come Ol' Flattop!"
Do You Yahoo!?

Got a question about boating? Skiing? Rollerblading? Fishing?
Ask a real expert at www.ExpertCentral.com
With over 4700 experts, the Web's largest question and answer resource