Re: SA: temperature vs. horns

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

 	Vince Lewonski wrote:

>there was a letter in
>> Horticulture magazine
>> (December '99, page 10) from Clarence Mahan disputing the
>> identity of an iris
>> mentioned in a previous issue as THORNBIRD, plus a reply
>> from the author of
>> the article explaining that it was correctly named and
>> why it looked
>> different.
>> Cheerio, Esther
>>
>   V. sez:
>   Anyone see this article?

	Yes, the author of the original article (May '99) was Barbara
	Perry Lawton and she answered Clarence saying that the TB
	irises shown and named in that May issue were i.d. by David
	Schreiner and he assured her that they were correctly named.

	She said that maybe the climate in Oregon was the reason that
	the appendages were missing from the photograph. She also
	noted the difficulty in photographing flowers.

	I do not grow THORNBIRD. Having seen it in Colorado and
	Oklahoma in different gardens in both places, I must say
	that it looked different in each garden. I thought it was
	one of the most unattractive irises I had ever seen and
	cancelled my order for it.

	Clarence also corrected the information set forth in the article
	concerning the iris borer (not Kathy :)). Ms. Lawton said she
	stood corrected on that point.

	Good-night all,

	Ellen (snowing here again and really cold and the garden is
		presently under white mulch - the best kind)

To view the Siberian iris archives:
http://www.mallorn.com/lists/sibrob/

Society for Siberian Irises web page:
http://w3.one.net/~wilsonjh/ssi.htm