markers

  • Subject: markers
  • From: "Patti Ensor" <pensor@ritzcom.net>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 10:58:36 -0700

I use wooden survey stakes which I buy very cheaply at a hardware store. A friend in another state orders hers from a local prison workshop.

In the garden, I use a Craftsman heavy duty stapler to staple a Coles Aluminum Identification tag on one side and on the other side I staple a plastic mini-blind.

On the mini-blinds I found that, in my climate, the writing using a permanent paint pen lasts much longer than a Sharpie permanent marker.

I use the mini-blinds because they are easy to find and cheap, but even more importantly, they are easy to read at a distance (standing upright). The aluminum ID tag is a backup to the writing on the miniblind and I like being able to have a tag to view on both sides.

We have a lot of snow and periodic rain, but the survey stakes last several years. Because they are thicker they tend not to rot, but eventually all wood does.

I'm sure longevity depends upon the type of wood used in your area. Watch out for knots in the wood - the stapler doesn't work on a knot.

You can also buy weather-resistant labels for metal markes at many paper product stores. Presby Memorial Gardens uses these. I don't remember whether they make the labels with an inkjet or laser printer. If I used metal markers I'd go this route as these labels are easy to read while standing.