CULT: misc (for Robin)

  • Subject: CULT: misc (for Robin)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:32:51 -0400

Went to visit Dora & Bobby Gosnell's place in Green County Sunday - gorgeous hilltop view of the mountains to the east, wonderful nearly rock free soil, up out of the dew and frost pocket problems here. They had already had some freezes, but trimmed foliage on the re-set plants meant I couldn't tell too much about freeze sensitivity on the new stuff. Need to go back again in spring!

Fairly random walk thru their acre(s) of iris plants, many freshly reset or new purchases, & we weren't there long enough to really take many notes, but for what it's worth, these are a few I noticed that seemed to be relatively healthiest:
ANIMAL CRACKERS
SOME ENCHANTED EVENING
SAFARI SUNSET
HOLD MY HAND (!)
RACING HEART
CRABBERRY SAUCE
HALLOWEEN MOON
TUSCAN VILLA (this one has died twice for me, so that tells you how valuable (not!) these notes may be!)
BRAGGING RIGHTS
OSAY CANUC
MANHATTEN HATTIE
PEP RALLY
WHITE HOT
UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN
CHAMPAGNE WISHES
ELIZABETHAN AGE
JUST MY LUCK (was reblooming)

Many, many GBKs, new and old.

Three nights of perfect frost here - stayed above freezing, so a good screening for mild frost tolerance in irises (blooms & buds). Cold enough long enough to blacken some foliage on tomatos, but not enough to kill them to the ground.

So far, buds showing color on seedlings seem to be undamaged. Encouraging. Open bloom on FEED BACK went down like wet tissue, but HARVEST OF MEMORIES unharmed.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8